Saturday, April 22, 2006

Aloha Saturday

I spend my Saturdays at the halau (hula studio) for hula class and today we learned a dance for one of our perfomanes this summer. For those who have lived in or visited Hawaii, you can understand what it means to feel the aloha. And for me, each and every Saturday, the minute I step into the halau, I feel the aloha spirit and am closer to Hawaii even though I'm in California.













Today is the last day of the week-long Merrie Monarch Hula Festival in Hilo. The purpose of the annual festival is to preserve and promote the art of hula and Hawaiian culture. Hundreds of wahine (women) and kane (men) dancers participate from all over Hawaii and the mainland.

A livestream is on tonight starting at 9 p.m. through 3 a.m. (Pacific). More info on the webcast here.

Image above from Merrie Monarch website, Miss Aloha Hula 2004.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that hula dancing could become the next yoga -- and it looks like a lot of fun!
Romely, if you have any ideas for doing the craft swap for low income kids let me know -- I have one contact here in Vancouver to go on and I'll see how far I can get with that. It would be great if you were able to start something in the US at the same time..?!!

April 23, 2006 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home