Monday, April 17, 2006

My Mother – A Style Icon Herself













Everything I learned about style, I learned from my mother, Lydia. She grew up in the 1940s-1950s in the Philippines and was a trend setter among her group. Her handbags and shoes had to be coordinated. Her hair always perfectly coifed. Her coats were exactly the same length as her dresses. She attended parties with big bands and was active in her community and her church. And all the while, she was so humble and extremely giving and kind. She was a great listener with a loud, contagious laugh. She loved Saturday morning flea market finds, as well as frequent ventures to Union Square in downtown San Francisco. A hard worker, a teacher and chemist, a talented sewer. A wonderful mother.

It's a very hard day for me since she passed away 6 years ago today from cancer. Since she taught me to be strong and always look ahead, I can only do that today by looking back and remembering all that she's given me. I miss her terribly.




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness, this post and comment made me tear up a bit. And the photos are amazing. Beautiful!!

April 17, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Pinkdotties said...

aww... I'm out of words. I think it's so sweet how you put yourself out there... since you are a lot like your mother I'm sure.

April 17, 2006 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post & tribute to your mom. truly beautiful.

April 18, 2006 6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she was beautiful & lovely! it sounds like you take after her in many ways!

April 26, 2006 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home